Until we board the Millie!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Santorini, Greece


Legend has it that our next port, the island of Santorini, Greece is the site of Plato's lost city of Atlantis... I didn't know that until just tonight! In 1450 BC, a marine volcano erupted, creating the extraordinary landscape. The capital of Santorini is Fira (or Thira), located on a 900 foot-high cliff overlooking the harbor and volcanic crater. In order to enter the huge central basin, ships must pass between the sheer rock walls. You can get to Fira via funicular (my personal choice!), by foot via a winding, 587 stepped path, or on mule-back (walkers and mule-back riders share the same narrow path)...not a really tough decision to make (although I hear that David Lloyd has decided to ride the donkey!) This town is known for its charmingly beautiful white-washed houses, winding lanes, picture perfect squares, blue-domed churches, and amazing views. Again, I can hardly wait! Hey all you cruiseheads out there in Mediterranean dream land....if you don't want to post, at least throw me a comment once in a while! Look for the word "comments" at the end of each post and click on it...then just type away! You'll also be able to read the comments that others have written. Hurry...I'm waiting!

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Lani Rae said...

Santorini was the port that hooked me into this cruise!! How fun! Linda thanks for the history lessons They are so interesting just goes to show how much I paid attention in High School!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Until we board the Millie!